Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Self Control...

"A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control."
Proverbs 29:11

I am a fool.  I must be.  I gave full vent just this morning, and I'm the one thinking and teaching about being controlled and wise and calm all the time.  Yet I am a fool, and I have proved it to myself today.  Please accept my apologies in this regard.

But know that this event only proves what each of us know, but few care to admit: we're all just human.  We, no matter how well educated or planned out, no matter how detailed and calculated our responses, are still human and capable of error in grand ways.  Therefore, this event gives me great hope and encouragement, in that there is something I can work towards... something I can improve upon.  And this is not to say that I fancied myself free of such a need, but rather to say that I am excited that I get to dedicate something amazing to the Lord in the quest to better my approach to situations which may anger me.

And I am not exactly perfect in other aspects, either.  I, like many, grow angry with my children and fail to show the level of loving control that I should.  I speak rashly to them and my entire family about all manner of things.  But this, too, offers encouragement in the task of gaining further control.  (Ironically, my book is all about this topic, and about how difficult a journey it can be.  That difficulty now glares at me, but I am willing to take on the task.)

Self control is one of those things that we all think is just a given, but it is difficult.  It requires focus.  It requires prayer.  And, more than anything, it requires accountability to admit when it has been lost.  I lost control this morning, and allowed my anger to shine.  I have governed it down now, and am presenting myself as an object lesson to all on this topic. 

Think about your own level of control today.  Realize that for each of us, it is possible to lose that grip when the wrong chain of events takes place, and focus all your energy on remembering that your joy is not situational, but eternal.  And as you focus on the gifts and blessings God has given you (as I am doing now), you will honor the Lord and exalt His Name!

God bless you all!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment