Search This Blog

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Self Control... lacking it...

"A man without self-control is like a city broken into and left without walls."
Proverbs 25:28

I have admitted to all of you that I lack the measure of self control I would like to have.  I pray that through my openness and accountability I am gaining some level of that control, and that it will bless my family.  I wish that I could teach and speak on this point from a place of wisdom, but all I have is my own experience to draw upon.  And my experiences are mostly not wins...

But the underlying truth of this is that the city is broken into, and without walls, and something else happens that is not directly stated: that city is undoubtedly looted.  And the prizes and possessions and riches and belongings of that city are removed completely and forcibly.  And it never speaks about the replacement of those things, does it?

It does not.  And this pillaging is true in us, as well.  The enemy, when watching us tear down our own walls for him, plans on theft and destruction, but takes more important things than gold and silver and precious jewels.  He takes our character; our respect; our demeanor; our image.  And while image should not be a concern of note, it is important to be seen properly, as witnesses, and to be seen in control.

Take a moment today to examine your "city" and the walls that surround it.  Focus greatly on the strength of those walls (as is my main ministry focus with marriage and anything else), and be certain you are willing and prepared to reinforce them, rather than tear them down.  Further, be certain you are ready to use and enhance your own awareness about this topic... and it will be an awkward thing to face if you have never done so, trust me.  But face it, and be ready to confront and overcome and then strengthen, and honor the Lord in doing so!

God bless you all!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment