Search This Blog

Saturday, July 30, 2011

The belt... part 3...

"Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist..."
Ephesians 6:14a

"Buckled" probably isn't so literal a term as you may think.  I would imagine that tied would work, as well, as long as the belt were secure and in no danger of falling off.  No matter what, I believe that the belt is a relative and subjective piece of armor, in that not all belts will be the same in fashion or form... but they all DO reflect the same meaning!

Belts have great significance to some cultures, the most notable of which for me would be in the realm of martial arts.  When my friends and I tested for our black belts and passed, we were so excited.  That was a belt that signified achievement.  It was a symbol, just as each one before it was a symbol, of the level to which we had grown.  But there was something different about the black ones... there was nothing beyond it!

Black belts were worn by all the visiting masters, and no color existed above black in the scheme.  The only thing that changed after the black belt was the number of stitched-on degrees to which you took it.  I only went to the 1st degree, but I have many friends who went further.  The point with any of us, though, is that this belt was worn and displayed with pride and confidence in our abilities.  We earned this belt, and we wore it with our heads held high... always.

The belt of Truth, though, is not one that is earned.  It is one that comes with the gift of salvation, one that is a blessing into our wardrobe.  We could not ever hope to purchase it or discover it or attain it on our own.  It was given to us all, the moment we accepted Christ as Savior, and we must put it on.  And this one shows a level of achievement, too, but it's not quite the same as the black belts mentioned above.  This belt that we now wear shows that we know how to bow down before God and accept His love for us in the form of His Son, Christ.  This belt shows us as servants to the Throne of God, slaves in Christ (as Paul would say).  This belt... it is filled with the Truth that comes only from knowing Jesus. 

Most importantly, though, is that this belt is NOT to be worn with pride.  Make no mistake, I am proud to be a Christian.  However, I am not prideful about my placement in eternity, and I do not lord it over anyone that I have been saved.  I am not arrogant about the fact that Christ loves me and has saved me from myself for all time, but rather I do my best to display a servant-minded approach to the slow and arduous process that is the expunging of sin.  So, in a way, my head is held higher than ever before as I bow it down lower than ever before.

Take time today to examine how you approach the adornment of your Spiritual belt.  I keep saying to make sure it's buckled tightly, but today I would ask that you make certain it is fastened about your waist in whatever fashion is needed for complete security.  It may tie in a bow or a square knot, it may buckle, it may clasp... but it needs to stay at your waist.  Encourage someone else in this task today, and honor the Lord in doing so!

God bless you all!!!    

No comments:

Post a Comment