Search This Blog

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Self Control... in practice...

"A man's wisdom gives him patience; it is to his glory to overlook an offense."
Proverbs 19:11

Wisdom comes from experience.  Patience comes from the same.  And offenses come from all kinds of places and people, even ones you may not know.  But your level of control will determine how well you respond... or how poorly you react.

A recent experience brought this verse to mind.  I am blessed to have not returned or exchanged any insults with anyone, even though I did receive one.  But as I thought about how I was remaining in control of my emotions and pride, I thought more on something so powerful in that specific example: the third party. 

A man, younger than myself, and already Spiritually stronger than I was at his age.  A man, focused on his goal of spreading the Kingdom and the love God and Christ have for us, regardless of what people may think of him.  A man... a man I hope to emulate one day.  His level of control humbles me, as he associates with far more people than I who are lost and in dire need of Christ, even thought they do not see it or know it to be true.  I admire this man greatly... and his brother, too.

Take time today to think about how you either react or respond when offended.  If you are willing to be introspective on this point, a growth in your walk will occur.  If you see that you are more reactive than you should be, have no fear: we all are.  It takes time and wisdom to become patient and understanding.  But as we all grow in these areas, we will bring honor and glory to the Lord!

God bless you all!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment