Search This Blog

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Waiting... for His purpose...

"Meanwhile Moses was shepherding the flock of his father-in-law Jethro, the priest of Midian."
Exodus 3:1a

I have been patient in my waiting to write this post... but I feel it is the time to say what must be said on this topic, and Moses is the best example I can think of, because most of you will think of the film version, or the hero of the Israelites.  These are somewhat accurate.  But there is something more important that we must look to.

Moses was in Midian, tending that flock of sheep when God called him.  Did you know that Moses tended that flock of sheep for forty years?  No, I did not make a mistake and accidentally add a zero to the four... forty years.  He patiently and calmly went about his tasks as a husband and father and family member and shepherd for forty years, and then, in God's time, Moses was called to greatness.  Did you catch that?  In God's time, Moses was called to greatness.

There was always a plan, and God knew what He would do with Moses and Aaron, but it would NOT become reality until God deemed it time to happen.  And that took forty years.  So now, my beloved and blessed friends, I am forced to pose to you a question.  This question will seem pointed and slightly uncomfortable, but it is a necessary one to ask.  To ease the difficulty of it, though, I will ask it of myself.

Who do I think I am that I believe I can rush God into making things happen on my timeline?  How much arrogance do I display when I assume that my prayer request will take enough importance in His schedule that I can dictate how quickly it will be answered, regardless of the actual answer?  More importantly, why would I assume that I can have the answer I wish for at all, even if I was patient enough for His timeline?  I must have forgotten... placing earthly timelines onto Heavenly concepts is equal to blasphemy.  Am I that prideful?  Am I that arrogant?  Am I that bad?  

Pray today, friends... pray that you will have the courage to repeat that last paragraph as it applies to you.  Pray that you are approaching the Throne with reverence.  Pray that you are putting the will and timing of God first in your prayers... and then teach another to do this.  I promise, you will honor the Lord, and His timeline, as you do so!

God bless you all!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment