Search This Blog

Sunday, September 11, 2011

September 11...

"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends."
John 15:13

Ten years ago at this time, I was sitting in my Psychology class, listening to my professor... and then an upperclassman came by the door, and announced that we were going to war.  The silence in the room was stunning, and we all moved to the one television in our small college, and huddled around watching as the smoke rose from the towers.

I will never forget that moment.

But today, ten years later, I want to take a moment to say thank you to all of our local heroes, and I ask that you do the same.  For all the firefighters, the police officers, the EMTs and those who support these selfless and sacrificing people, I say thank you.  You have the highest honor and respect that I can afford to give another human being, for you put your life on the line every single time you go to work... and you do it willingly, with no thought for yourself.  You are the embodiment of what it means to truly love your people, your city, your state, your country. 

I would like to personally and specially thank my very own little brother, who serves on the police force in our home state of Louisiana, in Calcasieu Parish.  Your willingness to protect and serve others is a trait that I greatly admire in you... you are my hero.

And for all those who serve or have served in the US Armed Forces, including several friends and family members of mine, please know that you, too, have my greatest admiration and respect.  There is nothing more powerful than the love that you show in your willingness to defend America against any enemy, keeping our people and our freedom safe.  I thank you, from the bottom of my heart.

Take a moment today to reflect on your memory of what happened ten years ago.  And remember those who were lost... but also remember those who charged in fearless, ready to search and save those who were in need of rescue.  Remember those who walked in with eyes open, ready to lay down their lives to save others.  They represent the very BEST of what it means to be human... to be American.

Find a First Responder close to you today, and tell them you appreciate their service to our community.  I guarantee it will be a blessing to both of you to share those words of encouragement, and you will honor the Lord in doing so!

God bless you all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment