Search This Blog

Friday, June 24, 2011

Faith... defined...

"Now faith is the reality of what is hoped for, the proof of what is not seen."
Hebrews 11:1

Yesterday we discussed how faith is a central component of our beliefs, and how it is faith that allows us to perform our works with the right spirit and heart attitude.  It is faith that brings us to the understanding of how to perform the works we eventually all come to perform, whether overt or covert.  But today, I want to take some time to discuss what faith is.

A friend of mine once read this entire chapter of Hebrews to our Sunday School class, highlighting the word "faith" each time he said it.  It was quite a powerful example of how important faith is, and I am thankful to this day for his recitation in that manner.  Better, though, is how God used my friend to show us the power and capability of faith in the life of a believer, both in that lesson and through his life to this day.

Think on this chapter today in your quiet time.  I know I usually only highlight a single verse, but this seems important today to read this whole passage and see what God can do through a person of faith.  Then take a look in the mirror and ask yourself if your faith is ready to be used by God for amazing things.  He doesn't do "average," you know?  So read it and reflect.

Also, we need to look into the fact that seeing is not believing... believing is seeing!  I, like you, have faith in the God who has everything in His hands, knows it all, has power to control it all, created it all.  I cannot see Him, per se, but I know He's there.  I don't need to look upon Him (no matter how much I may want to), because I KNOW He is present.  And the only assurance I have is from my faith, which grows ever stronger as I pursue my walk with Him. 

Focus today, and do what you can to strengthen your faith and enhance your ability to show it.  Don't think so much about becoming a Noah or a Moses, performing miracles and great feats by your faith, but rather pray to show honor and glory to the One who deserves our all... including and especially our faith!

God bless you all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment