Search This Blog

Monday, October 24, 2011

Respect... in song...

So... we talked on the first day a bit about the amount of respect we show in the House of the Lord, and one thing I mentioned was about the way we participate in music.  I would call it worship, but everyuthing we do is worship, from study to reading to prayer to singing to cleaning to paying bills, so it is better described simply as music in church that is worshipful.  And this one, I must admit, will be pointed mostly at me.

"Sing to the LORD, you saints of his; praise his holy name."
Psalm 30:4

Did you notice that it doesn't say that we are to sing praises "only if we like the currently-being-played version of the song?  Did you notice that it doesn't say that we are to choose how involved we are in it?  Did you notice that it doesn't mention that it's okay to be halfway in our approach of this practice?  How do I get to these conclusions, you may ask?  It's quite simple: the whole world needs to know what He has done for us (Psalm 9:11), and we are not just singing to sing, in this moment, but singing to the LORD, the Creator.  We are offering praises to the One who is worthy (Revelation 4:11).  And what we offer to Him should always be our living sacrifice, should it not (Romans 12:1)?  Otherwise, we run the risk of offering only what we choose to give (Malachi 1:6-14), and that does not honor the Lord and His grace upon us. 

And if we do refer to the musical portion of our service as "worship," then why would we not show our love with everything we have in that time (Matthew 22:37)?  I can speak for myself in this.  I am a tenor, and I like to sing where my range is comfortable and loud.  I like to, for lack of a better term, show off my abilities in song, which means that the lead and melody line of the song being played (in my view) should be in my "butter range," as one friend of mine puts it.  However, this is not always the case, as some are led by women and some are led by bass and baritone voices... some are even led by children, and, as embarrassing as it is to admit, I have this thought during those songs, as well.  But I am thinking about it now, and I realize that I cannot be the only one who wishes to be a better worshipper in song?  After all, is it His name that receives praise, and He is worthy of my very best in that regard, whether I like the song or the key or the version or not.

This also speaks to the way in which we approach with our worship (Ecclesiastes 5:1), and warns us not to be foolish in this.  Again, I'll have to own the embarrassment that exists, and do better in the coming services.  And I think I have discovered where the problem comes in, with me at least: I think that I can define what my very best to give Him is by the range in which something is sung, by the way it sounds.  Really, the key or the tune or the tone or the timbre are irrelevant if the heart is pure and we make a joyful noise as we worship (Psalm 98:4, 100:1). 

The song is not what matters... another quote from Downhere, in a song called "My Last Amen" says:

"Like a note thrills in a song, when I play it again it's gone... because it has never been the sound!"

The song is irrelevant.  Chord progression, which can be used to evoke certain emotional responses, is irrelevant.  Major or minor keys are irrelevant.  Length of verses and choruses are irrelevant.  Who sings it is irrelevant.  The words used... they matter a lot.  But what matters MOST is the attitude with which we approach the singing of the song, regardless of all factors above.  After all, He is Who we sing to... and no one around you is not receiving your worship but God the Father, so why worry about the song being your favorite and in the best key and by the proper artist (speaking DIRECTLY to myself, here)?  Just SING, and shout praises to the Most High (Psalm 7:17), and let your heart turn to Him in reverent submission (Joel 2:12-13).

This was tough for me today, to be so open and expository on this point, but I pray that it will help you to see the value of looking at oneself in the mirror mentioned a few days ago, examining the personal worship that we bring forth to the Lord.  I know that I will sing differently today, and I pray that you will, as well, and honor the Lord in doing so!

God bless you all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment