Search This Blog

Monday, October 29, 2012

The 6th of 7... part 1...

Home stretch, folks... only two remain, and one of those begins today.  Or, you know, perhaps I'll wait and start tomorrow.  Yeah, I think waiting would be a great way to start this one off.  Do you know why?  Meh... I'll tell you later.

Of course, blessed friends, this is sloth.

"Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men."
Colossians 3:23, ESV

Now, honestly, I thought of just waiting until another day to go through this, because we have a corporate audit going on at the moment, and there are many things to be done today.  However, putting off the continuation of the study doesn't seem to make sense, especially considering that the topic of this portion basically speaks to procrastination of every kind.  See, the term "sloth" means the avoidance of physical or spiritual work.  It's laziness.

I know what you're thinking, and I agree.  I'm not lazy either!  I do what I'm supposed to do, and I make sure my stuff gets done on time.  Or do I?  Do I really?  And as the verse above advises, do I work at it as though I am employed directly by the Father?  In my studies here and my small group and life group, I dig deep and focus on what I'll say, because I want to make certain that whatever is said, and whatever is taught, is a pleasing fragrance to the Lord.  But do I do laundry that way, or do I fold it and leave it in stacks?  Do I clean house that way, or do I do the bare minimum to allow for company to come over?  Do I count inventory at work that way, or do I pencil-whip the sheet, because it's an annoying requirement of my current position?  Do I put off things for tomorrow that could be done today?

Moreover, if I do all of those things (and if you do them), would I continue to behave this way if Jesus Christ were to write my next performance review?  There's a nugget to chew on, right?

God created all of this around us, including each and every one of us.  When we do something, anything at all, it should be for the glory of the Father, should it not?  And that would mean that we should step forward and work at it as though our very lives depended on it! 

Better than this, though, is the spiritual side of things.  Now I know, you're all going to say exactly what I said: I'm not spiritually lazy!  I mean, I pray, I study, I teach and I lead... I look to the Bible for all kinds of things, and I read it every day, in some form or fashion, so I cannot be considered spiritually lazy.  However, let me just ask a few questions that Jesus might ask of all of us in this regard. 
1. What did you do with orphans and widows?  Did you come to Me?
2. When I was in need, when I was in prison... did you visit Me?
3. When I was starving, did you feed Me... or pass Me by?
4. When I was sick, and dying in My bed... did you comfort Me?

“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’"
Matthew 25:40, NIV

The overall question toward our collective sloth would be, of course, have we been the hands and feet as we should be?  Or are we avoiding that, as well?  And the individual question is no different... even though it is more painful.  I know it hurts me to realize and see my laziness so plainly... but that is how we grow.

God bless you all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment