Search This Blog

Thursday, October 18, 2012

The 4th of 7... part 3...

To close out our thoughts on greed, I thought perhaps we would return to a favorite book of mine for some deep wisdom.  Anyone who knows me knows that I have a love for Proverbs, and this particular one is right up there in the top of my list... it is so simple, so "duh, man, you didn't know that," that we can have the tendency to miss it.

"A greedy man stirs up strife, but the one who trusts in the Lord will be enriched."
Proverbs 28:25, ESV

Honestly, if you think back to all the times when you were greedy about or over something, you would have to admit that strife was present.  Whether or not it was running rampant or being truly destructive is irrelevant, because the effect comes either quickly or slowly... but the strife that exists is the root of it.  And the root of the strife is greed.  Simple arguments turn into screaming matches, and all because one person doesn't want another person to have/hold/use/touch/eat/drink/spend/play with/be near/talk about/think about/dream about something.  Isn't that ridiculous?

Now think back again, and ponder on the times of peace in your life.  If you really, really, really think about it, all of the times that you were completely at peace were in direct relation to times when you were in complete trust with God's will and plan for your life.  I know for me, when I have placed my complete and total trust in the Father, and stopped trying to make things happen for myself, I have had no worries.  Do you know why?  Because I was not involved.

You see, when I am involved, my interests come into play.  When my interests come into the picture, all of a sudden I am thinking of myself, and not of the task.  This can lead to me focusing on the end result only, and not what it takes to get there, which can lead to missed steps, purposeful shortcuts, and other breaches in my character... and all because my focus shifted from the Creator to the created.  Perhaps I'm not supposed to be elevated within my company right now, and I should be content to shine in the role I currently hold.  Perhaps I'm not supposed to lead a new team of people at another location, because there is a purpose for me at this location still, and leaving would be a poor decision.  However, if I get involved in those self-conversations, as I have many times, I project my will and my hopes onto God's will for me, and I assume that they must line up... and there, I become greedy.

Worse, though, is that when I begin to think of me, I stop thinking about everyone around me.  I focus so tightly on accomplishment that I forget that the journey IS important.  The people you pass along the way (not negatively, but literally the people you walk by and interact with) are important to your current situation, and if you become greedy about it, and you start making mistakes, the issue becomes how long it will take before you are discovered and caught in those mistakes.  Then you become defensive about everything that is said.  Then you become paranoid about things you think people are saying.  Then you make more mistakes, because your focus is so slanted, you cannot function without drama.  Then guess what you have all around you?  Strife.

Another favorite Proverb is listed below, and I will use it today to back up the one above.  The thought is that we need to trust in God, believe on Him and in Him, and know that when we surrender ourselves to His will and to His purpose, we will find the peace and enrichment in life that we all seek.  It doesn't matter if we understand it all, because He does, and we trust Him, and that eliminates the self-built strife of trying to comprehend infinite plans with a finite mind.  The Proverb I reference as a supporter to the one above is:

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight."
Proverbs 3:5-6

Straight paths are paths free of missed steps... free of strife... free of greed and malicious attempts to gain more, more, more.  Our understanding is limited in all things, and no matter how intelligent or enlightened we become, we are NOTHING; nay, LESS THAN NOTHING, compared to Him.  Let Him straighten you from your greed, Christian sibling, and find peace.

God bless you all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment