Search This Blog

Monday, October 15, 2012

The 4th of 7... part 2...

You know, even though we began with some encouraging words, we really must take a step back and see what greed really is, and what it really does... and who it affects.  It is vital to note that this will be one of those uncomfortable moments in this study, and I am no exception in the discomfort of what will follow.

"For from the least to the greatest of them, everyone is greedy for unjust gain; and from prophet to priest, everyone deals falsely."
Jeremiah 6:13, ESV

Granted, Jeremiah is speaking of a time before Christ, and there was much greed in that era.  The books of 1st and 2nd Kings are filled with kings who began in reverence, but all of them, eventually, "did what was evil in the sight of the Lord," and it related to two things: pride, of course, and greed.  The book of Judges is no different, really, as the cyclical apostasizing of Israel would always turn to God when in dire straits, but then slowly pull away as they felt they could handle things on their own, or another god (false idol) promised greater benefit or bigger reward (even if the reward was just that they could marry a foreigner).  And what did that greed get the Nation of Israel?  What did God's CHOSEN PEOPLE receive for their greed?  Judgment.

Frankly, folks, even on this side of the New Testament, the wisdom from Jeremiah holds true.  We are all greedy in some form or fashion.  For myself, I am greedy with my time in service to the church.  I need to clarify that so you'll fully understand.  I want to serve... I want so badly to serve in all ways, because I was so far gone at one point that I would never have thought of serving.  And while I am aware that our salvation is not about attendance, I want to make certain that my works prove my faith, just as James teaches.  In my greed to have more time to serve, other things take a back seat... and  the back seat items should never be back there.  I sacrifice time with my wife and children, time I could be using the blessings I have been given through study to enhance their lives.  Most people will look at it and say that it's okay, because I'm serving others, but if I'm not serving my own, then what good am I as a husband and father?  I believe that I am greedy for the wrong side of this coin, and that it should shift a bit. 

This premise, like it or not, holds true for everyone on some level.  Whether it is as personal as mine or not is where the differences will exist.  Most will say they are greedy for money; some will be possessions or collectibles; some will be extreme and become hoarders, unwilling to let their things leave, and unwilling to leave their things.  I am greedy for time, and I wish I had more, but that is the lesson that all of us must learn, from the least to the greatest.  We must learn to manage what we have been given, and to manage it well.

Again, speaking only for myself, I need to find more time to spend with my family, and let some other things go.  There is no additional time to add, so I have to manage it better.  I need to not think greedily (only of what I wish to do), and start to operate on a broader thought pattern, one which enables the entire family to flourish... not just myself and those I serve. 

Greed is tough, folks... and it permeates, just like pride and lust and envy.  Let's not let it rule anything any longer.

God bless you all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment