Search This Blog

Thursday, December 15, 2011

New direction... from the Oldest of Old Schools...

Blessed friends, for nearly three full years now, you have allowed me the privilege to write for you, and I am grateful that I can continue to do so.  Each and every time I click the "PUBLISH" link, I get such a feeling of satisfaction that I am sharing what God lays on my heart, and I cannot properly thank you enough for allowing me the time to speak (write, type, you know what I mean) to you.

Today, though, I want to take a step backwards in time so that we can all leap forward in knowledge.  And while I know that retreating to advance sounds contrary in military terms, our Savior was not the "military messiah" that the people misinterpreted in the days of Christ.  He came to share peace and love and salvation... eternal salvation... with all who call upon Him as Savior (John 3:16).  So I want to step back and look at the list that no one likes to look at.  I want to look deeply into each portion of it, and then examine them one by one, even though this list terrifies me, just as it probably should terrify you.  Not the plagues... not the judgments... the Ten Commandments.  (By the way, although this is uncharacteristic of my normal version choice, we will be using the King James Bible for this project).

"And God spake these words, saying, 'I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.'"
Exodus 20:1-2

So, obviously, we're starting at the beginning with the intro to the passage itself.  But before we get to exegetical analysis of the instruction herein, I would like to pose a point of thought about this list.  Have you ever noticed that the list is not called "The Ten Suggestions?"  Did you ever see that it is not labeled, "Ten Ideas To Improve Your Life?"  Or has someone ever asked you why it isn't called "The Ten Possible Things One Could Do If So Inclined, But Are Not Entirely Necessary If One's Values And Personal Beliefs Do Not Line Up With Any Or All Of The Thoughts Listed Here?"  If you're laughing right now, that's good... but when you stop giggling and have the serious moment of reflection that I know I had, you'll probably realize that this is what we all wish they were called.  However, they are called "The Ten COMMANDMENTS."

The dictionary defines commandment as "a command or mandate."  Therefore, the point I pose to you is as follows: you and I and everyone else who is a Christian has no option other than obedience, because the Creator of all things (including us) has issued these 10 as a mandate.  Let that soak in for a while...

Before anyone gets too fired up thinking that I'm going to suggest that we all immediately begin to follow all ten of the commandments to the letter... well, no, go ahead, because I am going to suggest that we do just that.  However, I know and am fully aware that we are incapable of doing so in our flesh... but we must strive for this.  It is one of the many ways we can show honor to the Father... by following His rules.  I mean, in your dad's house, if he doesn't like something you do or say, it probably stops pretty quickly, right?  And why is that?  It's because you respect him enough to follow his rules in his home.  Well, friends, all of this belongs to God (Psalm 24:1), so we need to apply the same severity and importance as best we can.

Yet, because we are saved by grace (Ephesians 2:8-9), and we know that Christ came to perfect the law (Matthew 5:17) and offer us salvation through Himself (John 14:6), then we know that we were never meant to keep it... it was given to us to show that we NEED God's grace in order to be saved.

All that said, though, God is still the One that created wonders which caused Pharaoh to release the people from bondage.  God parted the sea, and allowed the people to cross.  God slew the pursuing forces.  God provided in the desert.  God protected and led and made enemies fall before the people.  God sent us Christ, and through Him we are saved (Isaiah 53:5).  I think He has earned our respect far more than we give credit for... and for that reason, if for no other, we should follow His rules.

I am issuing this challenge to all of the readers here today: memorize the Ten Commandments, in order, in the King James Version.  I'm really not kidding, and I will be participating with you in this.  We'll start with Commandment One tomorrow, and these verses will be our focal point for some time.  Pray them openly, and thank God for providing us the structure by which we can live in peace.

God bless you all!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment