Search This Blog

Friday, November 11, 2011

What it means...

What does it mean to answer the call to discipleship?  What does it mean to follow the way of the Christ?  What does it mean to openly and completely follow the One that made all things?
"I'm moved by this grace again, and again; Your love so complete; how can I explain?  I want to live for You... oh, I want to live for You."
"Live For You" by downhere

The grace we have been given is immense, Christian.  And it frees us from the necessity of performing works, which could never have saved us anyway (Ephesians 2:8-9).  It frees us from the trappings of our flesh, as there was no possibility of humanity maintaining the law.  It would never have happened, I promise.  And that grace is what causes us to cry out, "Here I am, Lord, send me!"  But what does it mean?  What is it to live inside the will of the Father, in the missionary call placed onto and into us?


In Greek, the word "euangelizo" (εὐαγγέλιον in Greek proper) literally translates to "evangelism."  And the definition of evangelism is "the spreading of the Christian Gospel" or "zealous advocacy of a cause."  When you and I became Christians, we accepted this Gospel, and everything in it.  We accepted the Father and the Son and the Spirit, and we were made anew, saved for all eternity.  And we became washed in the Blood of Christ, covered in grace, and freed from any works-based system for salvation.  But a part of the Gospel is the Great Commission (Matthew 28:16-20), which tells us to go and share the Gospel.

"Prepare now the mission, plant in me a dream; I'll give You back the life You've given me.  All You've given me."
"Live For You" by downhere

Our mission has been prepared, and it is the same for all of us... yet different for all of us.  We all are charged with the sharing and representation of the Gospel, but we will not all do it the same way.  Some will write, some will speak, some will preach, some will teach, some will sing and some will make music... but we all have a call, and we all have a responsibility to share the Gospel.  These acts, what some will call "works," we call service.  And this service shows the whole world that our faith is NOT dead (James 2:17).  We are alive.  Very, very much alive.  The question I put to you today, is whether or not you will answer this call that has been placed upon you?

Remember: I want to live for You!

God bless you all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment