Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

My own worst enemy...

I'll apologize up front, because this one does not have a link to watch/listen to a song... but you should download it, for sure, and make it a part of your normal playlist.  That way, when it pops up at "random" times, you'll be able to remember the truths contained within it.  Believe me, it's one of the more important ones we'll cover.

"If I had not such a blind spot, would I have a less difficult time surrendering my ways?  I would hang on every word You say!"
"Something Heavenly" by downhere

Our blind spots are pretty magnificent, you know?  I mean, people know all about blind spots in a car, and they are fixed and immovable, and we do our very best to add mirrors and drive safely, so that we can eliminate them and ensure safety.  But this blind spot is different.  You see, it moves... a lot... to wherever we want it to block out what we don't want to see or admit to. 

You ready for the worst part?  It's us that moves it.  I do it, you do it, the guy or gal in the cubicle or office next to you does it, and we all CHOOSE to make it acceptable, because it is for us.  Interesting, right?

While that may (and should) sting a little, the song goes on to point out that Jesus still chooses us (Romans 5:8), His church, the Body of Christ, Christian believers, and makes each of us a new creation (2 Corinthians 5:17).  The vocalist makes it very personal, showing a TON of accountability and honesty, and draws the listener right into the emotion of the moment.

"Why so big a place for me in Your heart; to leave Your glory home just to make a broken man Your own?"
"Something Heavenly" by downhere

And, reaching back to a truth from "The Problem," the song points out vividly that it is I who am my own worst enemy.  I am the flesh that makes the decision to become a Christian, and then makes choices following that to sin.  I, myself, am the one who decides to follow wrong things, listen to wrong things, watch wrong things, indulge in wrong things... Christian brother or sister, don't ever dare to say "the devil made me do it," because if Christ is in you, then the enemy is not.  And that means that the sinner inside you is you.  Yet take heart, because with Christ in you, you are a different being altogether (Romans 8:10). 

"I'm so far; stay close to me."
"Something Heavenly" by downhere

His grace is what we need, blessed friends... nothing else (2 Corinthians 12:9).  And it is His grace that lifts us up on wings like eagles (Isaiah 40:31), and allows us to continue.  And He will bring us to that place where we are, finally, something Heavenly (Philippians 1:6).

Remember: Please don't let me get the better of me; take this earthly thing and make it finally something heavenly.

God bless you all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment