Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Making us...

Today, I would like to ask for you to indulge me for just a moment, and think back to a question from yesterday.  When was the last time you tried to make yourself into something better?  I have tried, Lord knows, and failed every single time.  I fail because the storm that approaches in dispute of my efforts is too powerful for my arms and oars, and I am unable to steady my vessel.  Or, because I am in my own strength and not God's in that moment, perhaps it is just that I don't persevere enough to see the task through, because the shore of my destination seems just out of reach of my ability.  Either way, the truth remains that I am trying to do it on my own... and that won't work.

"Lord help me be the one You're making me."
"Making Me" by downhere

Those trials, as we discussed, are all a part of the fashioning of each one of us into what we were meant to be.  Each and every difficulty, from the stubbed toe to the financial crisis to the life-threatening illness, is there to refine us and help us to share our testimony.  Further, each trial we face and overcome gives credence to the grace that flows through us, because of Christ.  Each one aids our testimony... no, it BUILDS our testimony, so that we can be a better witness to others.  He meets us where we are, even and especially in times of great distress, and sometimes we just need a small glimpse of the potential we have through Him to overcome.

"Lord help me see the one You're making me."
"Making Me" by downhere

And then we catch that glimpse, but for some reason we manage to still turn our backs and grow haughty in our own "wisdom."  Why?  Put simply, it's because we are involved in the process.  Flesh fails fantastically, friends!  And then what happens?  We remember that He is there, and we focus on the truth that He is building us into something (Philippians 2:12-13).  We remember that He has a plan (Romans 8:28).  We remember that He is faithful, and will see us through to the finish (Philippians 1:6). 

It must be made clear, though, that this is not done by magic.  God is not a street corner trickster.  He is the Creator, Almighty God, Lord of all. 

"By His eye a tendril fell; He cast a Word, but not a spell."
"Making Me" by downhere

He spoke and we were.  He spoke.  That's not magic, friends.  The same is true for the Word that has been cast for us and for our lives (Jeremiah 29:11).  Nowhere in the Bible does it say that we will have an easy and pleasing and happy life on earth... those are man's inventions for how the "good life" looks.  And that slight-of-hand explaining is what draws our attention from the Lord.  Put your focus back where it should be (Hebrews 12:2), and know that He is making you and me both.

"It's all tied up, it's all done; I was a cancer, but You have made me a son!"
"Making Me" by downhere

You, Christian, are a child of the Living God.  You are facing whatever you are facing, and you have the power of Heaven backing you.  Your Father is with you.  I guarantee you, you are not alone in this trial or any other.  I know this, because you and I are not just going to Heaven, but we are going in as co-heirs with the Son (Romans 8:17).  The question is, will you acknowledge Him and let Him help?

Remember: Lord help me be the one You're making me.

God bless you all!!!

1 comment:

  1. Well articulated - by both Dylan and downhere! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete