Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

The 2nd of 7... part 1...

So I figured I'd jump into an easier one than this next, but something pulled me right to this.  Along with pride, this will be extremely difficult to type, and just as difficult, I'm sure, to read and focus on for all.  That is partly due to the fact that this one ties so strongly to pride, to arrogance, to self-centeredness... this, blessed friends, is lust.  And we're gonna come out swingin...

"But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart."
Matthew 5:28, ESV

These words of Christ radiate through all of mankind today, just as they did when they were first spoken aloud.  Imagine it for a second: a world where men do not think sexually-inspired thoughts about women who are not their wives.  Also, a world where women don't think inappropriate thoughts about men who are not their husbands.  I know, right?  Impossible.  Our entire culture in America is based upon the principles of selling sexuality and sensuality, and there is almost no escape from it.  Almost.

As a married man, I have wrestled with this.  It is pointed out in Scripture that we all have a cross to bear, and that we should take it up daily to follow Jesus in a life of submission to the Father.  Every male on the planet carries lust as a part of their individual cross, and I am certainly no exception.  It is easily, along with pride, one of the most pervasive ills in our growing-ever-sicker society.

Speaking of pride, they tie together simply.  Wanting something more than what you have been blessed with, and solely for physical and pleasure-related purposes, is as selfish as it gets.  The assumption is that you won't get caught, and therefore arrogance has entered the scene.  With that attitude present, the daring of oneself to go just a bit farther this time gets more and more tempting, and the rush and excitement when you think you've gotten away with it grows just the same.  This is what it is to think only of ME.  And I'm here to tell you, ladies and gentlemen who know me and those who don't, it is a constant wrestling match for me, just as it is for every man alive.  Pride is huge... lust is huge with it.

So let's look at Jesus' words in this passage, because the "heart of the matter is a matter of the heart," as a dear friend reminds me at times when looking to the Gospel of Matthew.  To even THINK it, regardless of action, regardless of intention, regardless of whether or not you were "actually going to go through with it," is the same as having done it.  It's the SAME AS HAVING DONE IT!  That comes from the Authority on all things in the universe and beyond, the Word, the Son of God, so I cannot dispute it, and neither can anyone else.  The sad part here is that we're all guilty, 100%, of at least one single infraction.  The sadder part is that we excuse it and say things like, "I was born this way," or, "I'm just a man, and I can't help it."  The saddest part, though, is that we accept those excuses, roll forward without attempting a change, and have no problem with that.

Don't worry, though, because as I mentioned above, it "almost" seems like there is no escape.  So what is the route to flee, you ask?  Prayer.  Prayer to the Father in the moment, the precise moment, that a thought comes along.  That prayer and re-centering of your focus and your heart will cause the thought to dissipate.  That prayer will bring back into line your true priorities.  And, if you pray fast enough as a response enough times, it will become a habitual response.  That is the escape... but it is an act of will, and we must condition ourselves to do so.  Otherwise, we slumber in the sin, allowing it to grow and take root, and we abdicate our place as leaders to the enemy who is in our minds.

I'm so far beyond guilty, and this portion will be an exercise for me of magnificent proportions.  But I know that God will carry me through in His power, not mine, and that is what will help me to grow.

God bless you all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment