Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

A thought...

I have been doing long and deep studies since this blog started, and I have always relied upon the readers for the insight into what to study next.  I will admit, I have tried to formulate my own topical discussions, but it never works out well... if I start it, it never lasts.  However, when inspired by someone else's idea, I have now written four books and multiple thorough studies on Biblical topics.  Therefore, I will ask, as I always do, for your insight into what I should study next.  You are welcome to comment below, or message me on facebook, twitter, tumblr, Instagram, flickr, or through email.

In the mean time, though, I would like to share with you a Scripture that I cannot stop reading or reciting.  It is so simple, and yet it contains so powerful a truth about Christ that I cannot stop thinking on it.  I dare say that this is the greatest descriptor in a single verse of who and what Jesus is in the entire Bible, and anyone can read and understand it.

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."
John 1:1, HCSB

Now, I need to ask your indulgence as I seek your focus on specific words in this passage, but I think once I'm done, you'll see why I cannot stop thinking about this one verse.  The words we choose are so vital, are they not?  How we present things to people determines our level of success, and sometimes body language and inflection play a part... but this is the Bible, and no one is reading it or dramatically acting it out in front of you at the moment (I wouldn't think, but if that's happeneing then call me so I can join you!), so you have only the words on the page and the Spirit indwelt in you to help interpret them.  SO let's take it apart a bit, shall we?

Much like the statement from the Father on the mountain to Moses when He says, "I AM WHO I AM (Exodus 3:14, HCSB)," the beginning of this verse has no time attached to it, other than one... the beginning.  And you see, when you describe the start of something, there is always an added descriptor that speaks of what it is that begins.  You will speak of the start of a race, or the first chapter of a book, or the beginning of a movie, but you will never have the freedom to just say, "In the beginning," and give no further attachement.  Does that tell you something?  It speaks volumes to me... and what I see there is that there is no added description, because this is THE beginning!  To follow that train of thought, if it is THE beginning, then it is the start of ALL THINGS, and there was nothing before it.  Interesting, right?

It goes on, though, to tell us that "In the beginning was the Word," which all Christians know is a reference to Jesus Christ (Greek word Logos, which is a title for Christ as the communication and revealer of the Father; ref. John1:14,18 and Revelation 19:13).  He is the living Word of God, sent to man to serve as the propitiation for our sins, and the entire Bible is one awesome collection of books about Him, the Father, and the Spirit, and the love that they pour onto us, even though we most certainly do not deserve it.  However, while we're discussing the Word, I would like to point out another little thing here... it doesn't say "a word" was there at THE beginning.  No.  THE Word was there as THE beginning, and the same truths about the additional descriptions can be applied to this segment.  There is no other Word, save Christ, and He is all that matters.  THE beginning happened, and THE Word was present, which means that Jesus Christ was there.

We move on from that, though, to see "and the Word was with God," which shows us that the Son is with the Father.  Now don't miss this, because it's HUGE and important: "the Word was with God" offers no mention of "a god" or "the gods," but rather points to a singular and specific Deity, God the Father, the Creator of all things.  Since creation clearly is about to happen, as inferred from the text, it is important to note that Jesus is present, and He is the Word (which we'll get to in the next verses) of God... so never, ever, ever again can you say that there is any topic that Jesd not directly speak on or speak to, because He was there at THE beginning, and He is THE Word, and...

... it goes on to say "and the Word was God."  Whoa!!!  So at THE beginning of all things, THE Word is there, He is next to THE God who created all things through His Word, and this Word IS God?  Well... that would mean that Jesus and God are one being, inseparable, and that Jesus has all the power that God has, and that all things were created with the two of them both present for it from the very first moment, and that Jesus really is Divine, right?  YES!!!  This is precisely what it means, and for anyone who has doubts about the Divinity of Christ, I would ask them to read and read and read again this powerful and simple passage from John 1:1, because it paints a pretty clear picture for us all. 

A friend of mine and fellow writer/speaker/Christ-follower encourages people to pray Scripture back to the Father, using His Word to express our love and gratitude and petitions and confessions... one day, while pondering this verse and the four that follow, this is what I sent him:
"I am grateful as I pray that Jesus was there, at the beginning, unified with the Father.  I am grateful that He IS the Word by which all things exist.  And I am most grateful that He is the Light that darkness cannot overshadow."
I made use of these techniques to say "thank You" to God for all that He is and all that Jesus is, and it was a powerful prayer moment... it still is a powerful prayer moment.

In that prayer, you see some foreshadowing of the passage I'll be working through as we decide what to pursue next in greater detail, and so I pray that you will remain with me as we work through this, and whatever God brings for us to study next.  Grace and peace, friends!!!

God bless you all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment