Search This Blog

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Statement seven... part 3...

We have the attachments now, and we have all, in some form, been grafted onto the Vine.  The next part, however, is the hardest of all.

"I am the vine; you are the branches. The one who remains in Me and I in him produces much fruit, because you can do nothing without Me."
John 15:5, HCSB

Theologically, many people will question my statement that this si hard, because once we accept Christ, we are in Him and He is in us forever.  In a literal sense, that is correct, and I will not attempt to refute it.  I know it to be true.  But there is more to it than that, for the Christian who wants the deeper relationship and understanding with Christ, don't you think?  It's not enough to just know that you are saved anymore... you have to live in a way that honors the One providing that salvation. 

To be crystal clear, though, this is not a "need to" because it will get you anything extra or a better salvation or more money or anything like that... it is a "need to" because you understand what He did for you, and you have an innate desire to attempt to repay the debt that cannot be repaid.  This, friends, constitutes a portion of the meaning of "remaining in Him," and hopefully you see now why I say it is difficult.

Let's look at it this way: you have done something wrong, even though it is a small thing, and no one saw it.  You are questioned about it, and you know that admission means trouble, whereas denial means they'll move on to the next guy for questioning, because who would believe that YOU would do THAT?  In this moment, which feels like an eternity, you have the choice to remain in Him and tell the truth or to step away from Him and lie.  Before any of you start to bring up extenuating circumstances, please note that there are none, no matter what you may think.  The truth is the truth, and telling the truth is doing the right thing, and doing the right thing is remaining in Him... no amount of discussion can change this fact, so please don't try.

Folks, trust me when I tell you that you are not alone in this, by any means.  I have been guilty of this form of stepping away far too many times in my life, and some of them are more recent than I would like to admit.  Some of them are about topics that are far more important than I would like to admit.  So as you read the previous paragraph, if you think I'm on a high horse or soap box, please know that I am... but I'm looking down at me.  I have not been able to "remain in Him" at times when I should have, and it has brought pain and heartache.  This is why I say it's not easy.

Further, in leaning back on previous points on this Statement, it would seem that to "remain in Him" would be almost a non-option, because He is the vine, and we are the branches.  He is from whence we come, and as we are grafted onto His everlasting sustenance, separation would surely bring withering death.  Interesting, isn't it, to think about that and realize that sin brings death?  Stepping away from Christ, whether it be Him, His Word, His values, His teachings, His example, these are all sin.  And sin brings death.  And when people are going down the wrong roads, they comment about the feeling of withering away... like a separated branch from a feeding Vine.  So yes, I can say that I am grateful for the grafting process.  I can also admit that I have attempted to separate myself from the Vine at times.  Thankfully, nothing can remove me from His hand, and my rubber band effect is getting smaller... not larger.

Next we'll look at what comes from those who "remain in Him," and we'll close this study with that.  In the mean time, please take a moment to think about the times that you have attempted to exist in something other than Him, and be honest with yourself about it.  I mean, you are aware that He knows about every single thought you've ever had, and every act you've ever committed, and every word you've ever said, so you might as well just be open with yourself... you're not gonna surprise Him.  Pray that you and I will all be stronger as we remain in Him in all things.

God bless you all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment