Search This Blog

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Still waiting...

Continuing from the previous thought, I would like to encourage you again today to spend some time in prayer.  But today, I would like to ask you to join me in a specific prayer... one that might seem odd at first, but one that I think you'll understand better than any other.  I would like for you to join me in giving thanks for all of the answered prayers that were OPPOSITE of the answer you wanted.  I'll explain...

We know from Isaiah 55 that God's ways and thoughts are far, FAR above our own, and that we cannot possibly understand or grasp what it is He's doing.  At least, we cannot understand all of it.  We further understand, as Christians, that it should be our highest goal to live within His will for our lives, as that will allow Romans 8:28 to take full form.  But for some reason, there are things that we pray for that we do not receive the answer we want to receive... and sometimes, we forget to pray about it at all.  

In all honesty, I'm really bad about that.  Like, really bad about it.  Terrible would be an apt descriptor.

Recently, I had a feeling that I was to return to school and pursue a degree from a Seminary.  I have all the backing I need from those who would encourage and uplift me, I have the letters of recommendation necessary, I have all the major requirements... but I decided that before I leapt down this road (which would certainly NOT be an easy or inexpensive one), I would pray about it.  However, I did something unconventional in this application... I asked specifically that people pray about it, and that they pray that the answer would be given through my wife, not through me, so that I could not invent it.  And I let go of it, prayed myself for the same thing, and waited.

While waiting, I was filling out scholarship forms and applications, getting all documents necessary, looking into different basic concepts that would aid the schooling process, etc.  I was living that faith that I should go by performing the works necessary in order to go.  And then the answer came, clear as a bell ringing, from my wife.  She said, "Not now."  (That's not an exact quote, but it simplifies a very lengthy discussion.) 

She was upset at telling me the answer she felt, but I was not.  I told her what I had requested for prayer, and how I requested the answer be delivered.  I shared with her that all the people I had asked (and there were a BUNCH of them) had committed to pray specifically in that vein, and that I felt so blessed to have received such a clear answer.  And while you may wonder why it would come back in the "not now" style, as I most certainly wondered, you need to see that it simply is not that time for me.  Now is not that time for that specific journey, for me or for my family... because it would certainly have effects on all of us.

Here's the cool part, though.  After deciding to be faithful to the answer given, things started happening that can only be explained as blessings upon us.  I cannot get into specifics on all of it, but let's just say that one seemingly impossible situation was instantly relieved, another always-looking-bleaker situation was immediately reversed, and all the glory for all of it goes to the Father who blessed us.  I wonder if it would be the same way if I had decided that my wife "heard it wrong," but then I remember that I cannot live on speculation, and I have these blessings upon me that I MUST honor.  

So I would like you to join me in praying a prayer of thanks for those things that did not turn out the way you wanted them to, because you see now that there is a greater process at work.  There is a plan bigger than the one each of us has, and it is greater and larger and not ever meant for harm, according to the teachings of Jeremiah 29:11.  Thank God for keeping you from barreling down a path you weren't ready to endure.  Praise Him for the wisdom that is imparted to others, wisdom to which you should listen and adhere.  Glorify Him by accepting His answer the FIRST TIME He gives it, without assuming that you heard wrong, or that it can't be that you're not supposed to do {fill-in-the-blank}.  

I'll close with a thought from my favorite band, downhere, from their song "Great Are You:"
"It makes me wonder, who am I?  Who am I?  Who am I, and great are You!"

God bless you all!!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment