Search This Blog

Friday, February 12, 2010

Abandoned...

"I'm abandoned to the Captain of the mighty host of Heaven..."
excerpt taken from "I'm Abandoned", from the musical "My Utmost For His Highest"

There is a moment in this song where the lyrics absolutely rip my heart out and force tears. I have listened to this song so many times, and I still cannot make it through the entire piece without tearing up. And the kicker is this... I truly hope it stays that way.

And the whole point of this song is to state that the whole of one's life is devoted to Christ. Christ comes first in all things, and the focus is ever upwards, looking for the greater reward that God has promised us.

Oddly enough, all of the vows we take in marriage are quite similar. And if we take the entire song and apply it towards our spouses, I would firmly wager that the proverbial waterworks would be unstoppable! Take a listen (or a read) to this slight adjustment:

"I'm abandoned to my wife/husband, no one else under all of heaven;
and I pledge him/her my allegiance, till the earth beholds His kingdom!"

Perhaps we should all take a moment tonight and remind ourselves of the abandonment we promised to the gifts we were given by God. And as we pray and give thanks to God for them, we should also give thanks for our appointment to them. Truly, there is nothing better.

God bless you all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment