Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

An interlude... continued...

A great thought was posed to me, and I must bring it forth.  It revolves around the opposite of pride, the "Heavenly Virtue" of humility.  I was forced to ask myself, when it was suggested that I include something specific about it, if I even understood it at all.  Wanna know the truth?  I don't understand it at all.

"Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness."
Philippians 2:5-7

Please understand that when I say I don't understand it, it does not mean that I don't intellectually understand it.  I fully get what the definitions and associated terms are, and I fully grasp the prospect and potential for implementation.  I am capable of knowing what it means to recognize and spot humility.  What I don't understand is how to BE humble.

Anyone who is reading this that happens to know me personally might have just had a chuckle about that admission, but it is the truth.  Humility is not something that one just goes and shows, in my opinion, because it is something that you must BE.  And while I'm certain I am capable of being humble, the application of the principle seems to be slightly lost on me, like 26 hours out of my 8 day week, 13 months a year.  (In case you missed the humor there, I'm pointing out that I don't get the application at all.)

But let's look at it, for real, given the words above as a guideline.  Is my attitude similar to the Savior's attitude?  Sadly, I would have to honestly say no.  I am competitive, and I see the goal as a platform to be reached in almost everything I do.  I believe that I must fight my way to the top, regardless of how difficult or high it might be, and I make certain to keep people informed of my progress.  I don't step down or aside... I push harder.  That is not the attitude of a humble man, but is rather the opposite of it.  Therefore, I need to be more mindful of the attitude to lower myself in order to aid others.

Also, as for the competition and grasping of status, I can tell you that I do believe that salvation is equal across the board.  I can also openly tell you that I don't believe that salvation is something you can earn, or that there is any status in Heaven or as a Christian.  We are all saved sinners, and no one will ever be able to be anything else.  No more, no less.

To the point of lowering oneself to the point of a servant, I am also lacking.  And I lack not just in the physical positioning of it or the attitude, but the nature.  Odd thing is, I serve people every single day, and I serve them at the worst time in their lives as they say their earthly goodbyes to a loved one.  However, if I'm really clearing my conscience on this specific point, I serve them well, and then I go about my business afterward without the same servant mentality.  That shifts the focus from Him to me, and then I cannot be effective as a servant-leader, whether in my home, my church, on the soccer field, or anywhere else.

So normally, I would say right here that I should attempt to gain more humility, or to grow my humility... but those would both be pursuits, and I don't think it works that way.  I think, instead, that one has to stop trying to gain it, and lower the knee with purpose, so that the lowest possible point can be reached while knelt before the Father... and then, we should probably go all the way into a prostrate position... but all in attitude and acceptance of whatever the will of the Father is for us.  We should accept that He knows more and better, and that He understands all that we need (not want, mind you, but need).  In that moment, attitudinally knelt and face down on the floor in submission to Him and Him alone, we will find peace that extends beyond anything imaginable, because we will be living rightly, in humility, and only for Him.

God bless you all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment