Search This Blog

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Stay Strong

How does that song go? The Newsboys are such masters with their wording! "Stay strong, you are not lost... come on, fix your eyes ahead... there's a new dawn to light our way!" I love this song, because it first popped into my ears after a large and colorful "discussion" with my lovely and amazing wife; who, of course, was right (and I do mean that literally).

We were into secret shopping at the time, and I was heading south to a specific mall for a specific store shop with our oldest child. We had "discussed" whether the whole family would go, just her and the eldest, just me and the eldest, etc. To top all of this off, it happened immediately after leaving our Sunday School class! Great stuff, right?

So we end up deciding that the oldest and I will go, and it's clear on the south side of town. In Houston, that usually means over an hour of driving. While on the way, my oldest fell asleep, and I was left to my thoughts. To keep him resting, I decided that I would listen to the radio... I do love some Christian radio! (Side note, to date it has been almost three years since I listened to any secular music, and the added peace of that choice is wonderful!)

And then it happened; "Stay Strong" by the Newsboys came on, and I was enamored. After a long and colorful "discussion," any spouse can feel discouraged. But I was moved by the words that we should press on for the "prize that lies ahead." Because for married couples, it truly is about the marathon, and not the sprint.

I called my wonderful wife and immediately apologized, explaining in my limited capacity the Kingdom Moment that had just occurred, and she graciously accepted and forgave me. And it is that way with so many things! Granted, I think the goal is to not mess up as much or as badly, but I thank God that she forgives as He forgives... COMPLETELY!!!

If there were one point I would like for you to take away from this, it would be that God, through Christ, has forgiven us completely. Our sins, past, present and future, are non-existent in His eyes because of our relationship with His Son. If He forgives so totally and completely... and we are to walk with Him and in His ways... you see where this is going, right?

Take a moment tonight and pray together for the strength to see each other as God sees you; washed white as snow, with your sins scattered as far as the east is from the west. Pray in love tonight for the wisdom to see right past all of the human failings, through to the blessing in flesh that is your spouse. And thank God for that!!!

God bless you all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment